Each year 20 4-Hers receive 25 pullets to raise and care for. Later in the year, each participant is required to bring four of their best pullets to the poultry show and sale. These 4 pullets will be judged and auctioned. The remaining pullets are yours to keep. Prize money and ribbons will be awarded based on the quality of your pullets. The money raised from the auction will be used to buy chicks for next year.
4-Hers have the opportunity to complete records and have them judged at the Show. 4-Hers completing records and entering them at the show will earn a ribbon and additional premium money.
If you do not return 4 pullets to the sale for any reason, you will be charged the average price at the sale for your 4 pullets, and you will not be allowed to receive chicks in the future.
If you are interested in raising chicks, fill out the application below. Applications are due Feb 5. We will order only 500 black sex-linked pullets which means only 20 4-H members can participate. Applications will be selected by a drawing and participants notified between February 12th and 15th if they are to receive pullets as a part of this program.
If you are selected, you will be notified when to pick up your chicks at the Extension Office.
If you have questions, call (423) 949-2611.
Biosecurity and Avian Influenza links
Timeline for 2022
- Dec 20, 2021 Application due
- Jan 3-7, 2021 Notifications sent to selected participants
- February/March Meeting with selected participants
- March 16-17 Chicks arrive
- August 13, 2022 Poultry Show and Sale
- Application please complete and mail to the address on the application by (Date for 2022 to be announced)
- Growing Blue Ribbon Pullets
- Poultry Project Record Book
- Food and Safety Quality: Handling Eggs and Poultry Safely at Home
(links are provided for your convenience UT Extension does not endorse any commercial claims or products mentioned on any of these sites)